Monday, July 7, 2014

Louise Gillett

Louise Gillett is a writer and creative talent behind the blog Schizophrenia at the School Gate. No, wait, she's not just a writer, she's an excellent writer and she's got a wonderful way of explaining "schizophrenia" from the point of view of her older and wiser self. She writes about her insecurities in a way that I find delightful and insightful.  I got Louise's permission to reprint her latest musings on social anxiety because I think what she's saying can give parents hope in recovery.

Here's just a snippet:

"About me.  Well, I am normal (we have established that.  Or haven't we?!) but I was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a young person and that still affects my perception of myself.  I feel quite strongly that this label is wrong - not for me in particular, but for everyone who is afflicted with it.  Because anyone can suffer emotional distress for a variety of reasons (there always are reasons) and anyone can break down - and anyone can also recover.  But the label of schizophrenia doesn't allow for recovery - even if, like me, you haven't had to take medication for twelve years and you have no symptoms of mental ill-health (social anxiety is not schizophrenia). 

Which means that those people who do recover - which is more than you would think - stay very quiet about the fact that they were ever diagnosed.  Which gives the others with the same label - and people are still being given this label today - very little hope for their own futures. " 

Read the rest of Louise's post here

3 comments:

  1. "Because anyone can suffer emotional distress for a variety of reasons (there always are reasons) and anyone can break down - and anyone can also recover."

    Ain't that the truth!

    Be well,

    Duane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, Duane. I hope you are doing well.
      ...Rossa

      Delete
  2. Louise nails it, greetings Rossa.

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer approving comments. All I ask is that you be respectful of others and refrain from using profanity.